The process of shipping electronics is multi-component and requires strong attention to detail. Whether you are an electronics manufacturer or shipper, it is crucial to be familiar with the sequence of preparing electronics for shipping. A successful shipping strategy guarantees fast and safe delivery of electronics goods.
What are consumer electronic goods?
Consumer electronic goods are devices used for various personal needs and perform functions that simplify routine tasks, such as smartphones, laptops, television, etc. Besides, certain electronics play the role of equipment for offices and other digitized workplaces.
Usually, electronic goods contain many fragile components, which makes them quite vulnerable during transportation. That is why it is necessary to organize your electronics shipment properly.
How to prepare consumer electronics for shipping?
A successful electronics shipment starts with evaluating the composition of the items and separating them into pieces. This is necessary for safety purposes, so you know there is no chance of electronics being enabled during transit. Look at the item and carefully separate the accessories such as cords, chargers, adaptors, etc.
It’s vital to label and pack the detached parts separately, too. It will help the customer identify the pieces and connect them correctly. Moreover, separating accessories will keep the space more organized, so loose cords don’t twist together in the truck.
Due to the electronics’ price and complexity, we recommend shipping them with the implementation of different monitoring systems. Typically, you can use logistics software and satellite the products during shipment.
Modern monitoring systems can detect tilts and bumps and warn the driver about any possible dangerous pieces of the route. In addition, monitoring software can enhance the temperature and humidity regulation inside the truck.
Tracking systems are pretty simple to enable – you can install the QR tags system in the truck to be visible to the customer through digital applications.
As shown from experience, shipment tracking matters to customers, especially when they expect to deliver high-priced products. Real-time reporting and keeping an eye on the electronics location can considerably improve additional expenses during transit.
In the case of shipping electronic goods, it is crucial to select the proper packaging. Electronic items are comparatively fragile, so it is better to secure them appropriately to their type and features.
Customers trust durable packaging: if they see any signs of damage on the box, they believe there is possible damage to the product inside it. It is critical to ship electronics in solid boxes and utilize different inner packaging.
Corrugated boxes are probably the best choice for shipping electronics. These boxes contain three paper layers and can protect devices from any damage, including moisturizing and contacting other items inside the truck. Sometimes you can replace corrugated boxes with cardboard crates. However, they don’t secure the contents to the same extent as they only include a single layer of paper material.
Double boxing. Sometimes, a single box cannot provide enough protection for electronic goods, primarily when covering long distances. Shippers can move the electronics packed into manufacturers’ original boxes. They are often pretty weak and aim to make a good impression rather than save the product from harm.
Therefore, the method of double boxing resolves this problem. Choose a container at least six inches longer, wider, and higher than the primary box. Void fillers must take up all the empty spaces between two packages. Finally, do not forget to seal both containers with suitable tape.
To provide better protection from unwanted movement, consider palletizing your cargo. Shipping pallets will prevent separate packages from falling out and facilitate the process of loading/unloading.
Types of inner packaging for your electronic goods vary depending on their primary functions. Besides, the void fillers for electronics are light and they don’t increase the overall weight of your cargo, which makes them cost-effective.
There are some popular options that are widely used to pack consumer electronics:
- Air pillows. This packaging keeps the transported items away from the rigid edges of the box. In addition, air pillows stop the products from moving within their boxes.
- Bubble wrap. You can easily cut the bubble wrap and thus regulate its size according to the measurements of your item. The air-filled bubbles provide a cushioning effect and don’t allow any pressure to distort the shape of the item.
- Packing peanuts. They possess good shock absorption properties and save the amortization effect while shipping fragile electronics. Also, packing peanuts are safer for electronic goods than Styrofoam peanuts which sometimes fall apart during transit.
- Waterproof bags. Waterproofing is an excellent way to pack your item and protect it from hazardous liquids hermetically. You can adapt these bags to any size of an item.
- Water-activated tapes. Water-activated tapes are the kind of tapes you can use after packing and condensing your items into the box. The tape contains a particular glue substance that activates by water and finely sticks to the box.
- Sustainable packaging. Since using void fillers for shipping electronics is necessary, the sustainability of these fillers remains a serious question. Luckily, the central part of this packaging is made of biodegradable materials and can be easily reused many times. In addition, applying sustainable packaging can significantly reduce your shipping costs.
Labeling electronic goods
Labeling plays a vital role in transporting electronics. Ensure the electronics’ labels are visible and indicate the number of parts of the electronic item.
If you have previously disassembled the item, do not forget to label every piece. The electronics labels usually involve data about the country of origin and the manufacturer’s brand marks. Make sure that you have all the brand labels on your devices. Otherwise, customers may not accept unknown goods at the delivery.
Boxes containing electronic goods have to be labeled, too. These stickers can also provide particular shipping directions, if there are any.
Shipping electronics of high sensitivity
Not all electronic items can travel the same way. A range of devices contain sensitive components and must be transported with special precautions. Sensitive electronics are more likely damaged by inappropriate physical conditions or contacting other transported items.
Specific electronic devices can be susceptible to electromagnetic frequencies or gravitational pressure. To ship these units, consider applying for additional protection like aluminum shielding. Also, try to learn more about the unique technical characteristics of your products to be sure you’ve secured them the best way.
Although it may cost a little more than sending the parcel with electronic items, it is always best to add insurance wherever possible. If mistakes are made, and your package is getting damaged, insurance will be cheaper than reimbursing and losing customers in the long run. GoShip provides a convenient freight shipping insurance option.
How to ship electronics?
There are different services available for shipping electronics, and the one that fits you most depends on the needs of your commodity:
- Expedited delivery. It is an excellent option for time-sensitive shipments. Customers often send electronic items as gifts, and sometimes electronic suppliers need to ship goods urgently.
- Truckload shipping. It is a suitable option for shippers who ship large volumes of electronic goods that are enough to fill in the truck trailer. It is also a safe bet since you have a dedicated truck for just your freight, which means increased protection and less chance for freight damage.
- LTL shipping. Less-than-truckload shipping is a type of transportation in which several shippers share a truck for their goods. Because loading and unloading take more time, it is an excellent mode for shippers with smaller shipments that are not time-sensitive.
- White glove service or service for hiring helpers. Packaging electronics often requires additional effort and resources. If you are not familiar with electronics packaging, you can use help.
- Heated transport. Some electronic products are sensitive to low temperatures. If you ship them in too cold conditions, especially during the cold seasons, specific components of these devices can get spoiled for good. The sippers are increasingly interested in using heated transport with built-in thermo-regulation systems. They can easily maintain the optimal temperature regime as long as you are on the road.
How long does electronics shipping take?
Shipping electronics is time-sensitive. If electronics perform equipment functions or are sent as gifts, customers would expect urgent delivery.
It is important to think over the consistent shipping strategy to make sure you meet all the timing requirements. Also, we advise counting a few more factors that influence the duration of electronics shipping.
- Distance. The longer it is, the more time-consuming your shipment gets. Also, do not forget to include some time spent for possible traffic congestion and driver’s stops. If you want to optimize the overall time, try to expedite the route in advance to avoid long detours or unreliable pieces of a highway.
- Transportation mode. Apparently, it is better to arrange a full truckload shipment for timely delivery. However, less than truckload shipments remain more affordable. If this is the transportation mode you’ve chosen, please be aware the driver will take his time to pick up and drop off all the other goods.
- Seasonality. The delivery speed significantly slows down when the roads are loaded with many other trucks. This usually happens in terms of the peak season. On the other hand, in times of bad weather conditions, there is a high risk of traffic congestion or making repair stops.
How much does electronics shipping cost?
The prices for shipping electronic products depend on the range of factors such as destination, transportation mode, size of the cargo, additional services, etc.
It is also worth mentioning that sometimes shipment rates can vary according to the insurance of the items. GoShip can effectively help you to get a free quote and compare rates from multiple carriers in real-time.
Shipping electronics with GoShip
Preparing electronic items for transit can quickly become stressful. These fragile and valuable items need extra care and attention when shipping. Here at GoShip, we want to make the shipping process as easy for you as possible. With GoShip, you can compare quotes from multiple carriers in real-time and ship electronics properly.
- Instant and free freight quotes
- Full truckload and less-than-truckload shipping services
- Low freight rates
- 24/7 shipment tracking
- A self-service platform for online shipment booking