Shipping can be stressful, especially if it involves fragile items! You’ll be holding your breath from the moment your package leaves your doorstep up until it reaches its final destination. Businesses are especially careful about damaged items since it’s more likely that you’ll bear the brunt of the damage. Nobody wants to deal with unhappy customers either. Delicate and fragile items, like glassware or antiques, need extra attention, so be prepared to pack and ship them properly. Using the right packing materials, learning how to protect fragile items, and learning the best way to ship items domestically and overseas will ensure happy customers and a less stressful situation for you.
What Is the Best Packing Material for Fragile Items?
Packaging materials play one of the biggest roles in protecting your items in terms of active shipping operations. Here are some of the top choices for packing materials:
- Properly sized and durable boxes. It is extremely important to properly understand your cargo dimensions to maintain a snug fit around your fragile items and their packaging material.
- Packing tapes are very useful for securing boxes due to increasing the cargo density with packing materials.
- Bubble wrap is a reliable way to protect delicate items. Multiple layers can be used for extra protection.
- Airbags are great for filling up empty spaces in a box. Ther are also ideal for sharp edges.
- Foam enclosures are molded specifically for the product you’re shipping to eliminate the risks of mechanical damage.
- Packing peanuts ensure that there is no extra space in the box for the item to move around.
- Crumpled papers represent an eco-friendly and affordable option that fills up gaps in your shipment box. For best results, it is recommended to insert two inches of crumpled-up paper between the fragile item and the wall of the box.
- Foam-in-bag looks like aspray foam that molds around an item, and it comes in different densities.
- Corrugated inserts are used to strengthen the package and increase its durability.
Steps to Securely Pack Your Fragile Items for Shipping
To properly pack and prepare your fragile items for shipping, it is important to follow the packaging strategy that allows you to securely ship your cargo.
1. Choose a durable and properly sized box
Ensure that the box fits tightly around your item but is large enough to accommodate packing material. It should also be sturdy enough to support the weight of your items.
2. Double box delicate items
When dealing with extremely fragile items, make sure to double-box the items within a larger box. Place the smaller parcel in the middle of the larger box. There should be at least 3-inches of cushioning in and around the smaller box.
3. Pack fragile items individually
For especially delicate items, wrap each one in at least three inches of air cellular cushioning. You can also consider applying additional layers of packaging materials or void fillers.
4. Restrict movement
It’s critical to find the right amount of cushioning and the correct placement to ensure that your product withstands all sorts of delivery handling. Place the fragile item in the middle of the box and cover it with ample cushioning on all sides. You can use packing peanuts, airbags, and crumpled newspapers to prevent it from moving around.
6. Seal tightly
Ensure that you close the box and seal it tightly with packing tape. Ideally, you should tape it over multiple times to ensure that it stays secure during transport.
7. Place the shipping label properly
Remember to place the shipping label on the parcel’s large surface. This ensures that your package stays current ends up in transit. Avoid placing the label on taped seams. Avoid writing “fragile” on your package as well. In some cases, this can lead to worse treatment!
Ship Your Fragile Items with GoShip
After you’ve followed all the necessary steps to properly pack and secure your fragile items, you still need to find the right courier to ensure your package arrives safely and undamaged. Consider factors like delivery time, cost, and best value shipping solutions. They should also offer 24/7 tracking and full coverage for damaged and lost items. Getting shipping insurance gives both businesses and customers peace of mind as it minimizes risks during delivery. If you’re looking for a fail-proof way to connect with the best value domestic couriers, visit GoShip to access our self-service platform for a free quote, quick book, and 24/7 tracking and customer service.