The thought of moving can frighten many different people, especially moving across the country. It’s not a big deal if you don’t have many pieces of furniture and items to worry about, but when you’ve been living in a certain place for years, and you like material things, you’re most likely to be in trouble.
If you have a large amount of important items and constantly worry about how you will ship your items to your new location – don’t worry. Here is a guide on how to avoid moving scams and prepare for your cross-country moving properly:
- Review all the stuff you own. Do you really need that old sofa? It may surprise you, but it might be cheaper to buy items in a new place instead of transporting them to another part of the country, depending which shipping service that you decide to use. Take the time to make a detailed review of the things you actually need and get rid of all the unnecessary pieces.
- Sell the things you don’t need. What can be better than finding an affordable moving solution? Only to make some cash on it. Check all the items in your apartment and define the ones that are still useful and in good condition, but you don’t need them. You are able to sell various different types of items, ranging from old furniture to pieces of equipment. If you think it’s not going to work, just make some good pictures and put it on the Craigslist. Many shipping services, including GoShip.com, can provide you with Craigslist shipping.
- Become familiar with popular moving terms. If you are new to the moving process, it may be helpful to learn the important moving terms so that you have a better understanding of what you need to do to properly move your items.
- Pack your items properly. It doesn’t matter what moving alternative will you choose – DIY, friends or a shipping service – packing is your part in the shipment process. The decent protection of your cargo is essential for secure transporting. Make sure to buy the proper cardboard boxes, pallet and packing materials, such as industrial tapes. It’s better to put more layers on the entire box to make sure the freight is safe. Trust us, when it comes to packing – more is better than less.
- Take fragile items with you. Despite lots of shipping companies provide reliable options for fragile items’ shipping, when you need to move your grandma’s antique cups collection, it’s probably better to count on yourself. Take the most unsafe objects to your hand luggage while flying to the destination.
At the end of the day, moving may turn from a nightmare to a positive experience when you start informed and well-prepared. Good luck!