If you’re managing a business, understanding freight shipping should be at the top of your to-do list. Since there are many different types of freight shipping, the best mode will depend on your hauling needs. In this article, familiarize yourself with:
- Different types of shipping modes
- Benefits of shipping
- How to estimate shipping rates
Freight shipping is the process of transporting goods, commodities, and cargo by land, sea, or air. The most common shipping modes are: full truckload (FTL), less than truckload (LTL), international marine shipping, and air. Let’s begin!
Freight Shipping Definition
The objective of freight shipping is to take your freight from point A to point B. However, there are some factors to consider before figuring out which mode is best for you:
- Delivery speed
- Weight and dimensions of freight
Freight Shipping Methods
Here are some of the most common freight shipping methods used by entrepreneurs and business owners:
Less than Truckload (LTL)
LTL shipping refers to cargo that is larger than a standard parcel but cannot fill up the space of one trailer. This shipping type is the most popular as it’s the most affordable and accessible service.
LTL generally uses trucks that contain an assortment of goods to be delivered to different destinations along a single route. These shipments typically weigh between 150 to 15,000 pounds.
Full Truckload (FTL)
Shippers may also book a full truckload capacity. FTL freight shipping involves moving unpackaged bulk or pallet loads, typically weighing over 10,000 pounds. Generally, these commodities require climate or temperature control, flatbeds, or have other special considerations.
FTL is the most efficient ground freight as there is only one destination. It is the most popular choice for important and urgent shipments.
The fastest freight shipping method is by air, but it’s also the most expensive. It is generally preferred for fragile and valuable shipments, such as electronics. Examples of large air freight companies are UPS and FedEx. Shippers can opt for either express or standard air freight.
This method is the most common international shipping method because of its extremely low cost. It’s the most preferred method for low-urgency bulk international goods. Shippers can opt for:
- FTL marine freight: more efficient
- LCL marine freight: cost-effective and eco-friendly
Next, let’s take a look at the benefits of freight shipping.
Benefits of Freight Shipping Services
Freight shipping ensures the cargo gets to its destination safely and on time. It’s also one of the most cost-effective methods of transporting goods and commodities! Whether by land, air, or sea, these are the benefits of freight shipping:
- Budget-friendly*:* Most businesses owners and eCommerce entrepreneurs don’t have the time to handle shipments and deliveries personally. As your business grows, relying on freight shipping is key to get competitive rates and quality service
- **Time-sensitive:**Thanks to the variety of available shipping modes, you can find the best method that stays within your time frame. Expedited freight shipping is also available for highly time-sensitive deliveries.
- Quality service: Finding reliable freight services is made easier today, thanks to online freight service providers. With the top carriers, you can rest assured that your items will arrive safely and on time.
With digital freight shipping platforms like GoShip.com, you can conveniently find affordable and quality-ensured freight companies with reliable customer support
Innovative Freight Shipping at GoShip.com
GoShip.com is the answer to all your freight shipping needs! You don’t have to worry about finding the most affordable rates because GoShip will find the most compatible freight carrier for you.
- LTL Shipping
- FTL Shipping
- Small Business Shipping
- Large Item Shipping
- International Shipping
- Freight Insurance
Get an instant quote through their self-service platform, and connect with your partner freight carrier in no time!