The shipping industry is facing many rapid changes right now and will continue in the future. One change, in particular, is to be more sustainable. We already see efforts by companies to “go green” and make drastic changes to address climate change. New studies on climate change have prompted businesses to take measures for reducing their carbon footprint and turn to sustainable shipping.
Right now, the trucking industry is far from the “green” industry that authorities are looking for. Trucks cover thousands of miles every day and contribute to pollution and using large amounts of fuel and oil. These changes may take a while for companies to adapt to. But there are a few easy ways carriers and companies can help make a positive impact on the environment.
How can carriers help the environment?
- Driving at slower speeds can significantly lower the truck’s emissions. Decreasing speed just by 5mph decreases the risk of accidents and lowers fuel consumption.
- Taking time to start, stop, and switch the speed of their truck can lower fuel consumption by 5 – 10%.
- Drivers can use truck stop electrification when they sleep in their cabins for heating and cooling. This helps reduce diesel emissions and save on fuel costs.
- When drivers focus on a sustainable shipping strategy, it improves fuel efficiency. Plus, companies will reward carriers with more business.
How can companies help the environment?
- Outsourcing logistics and invoicing services can help save company resources and paperwork.
- Companies can improve fuel technology and efficiency by:
- Utilizing alternative fuels
- Hybrid technology and
- Better route planning
- Investing in new technologies can lower operating costs and improve fuel efficiency. Sustainable shipping technology includes computer-controlled engines, radio or heating, and cooling innovations.
- These types of equipment and other eco-friendly initiatives are great for companies to invest in. They decrease operating costs and make a positive impact on the environment.
- Aerodynamic panels
- wide-base tires
- low viscosity lubricants
- exhaust system upgrades
- auxiliary power units (APU’s)
- Invest in a sustainable packing strategy. When environmentally conscious consumers see companies using eco-friendly practices, they want to support that business.
Hopefully, we see more positive changes made by truck drivers and companies to make sustainable shipping a reality. Consumers tend to support businesses that practice sustainability shipping.