Tips for Claims and General Information for Freight Shippers and Consignees
PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION WITH YOUR FREIGHT SHIPPERS CLAIM:
- Bill of Lading
- Delivery Receipt / Proof of Delivery
- Copy of Original Invoice
- Repair invoice (cost/labour) in case the product needs repair/re-work
- Disposition of material (available for inspection, returned with the carrier, etc.)
- Photos of damaged merchandise and package/packaging material.
- Any extra information that is necessary to substantiate the request.
Tips for Freight Shippers and Consignee Claims
Firstly, always inspect the shipment. Moreover, make sure the shrink wrap is intact. Make sure that the package/packaging material does not have signs of damage (water, crushed, torn, etc.)
In case, the shrink wrap is not intact, please mark this on the Delivery Receipt. Sometimes the Delivery Receipt has a box in the lower left corner asking if the shrink wrap is intact: Yes_ No_
When damage/shortage occurs, please make a notation on the Delivery Receipt and take photos of the damaged merchandise. For example, “boxes of item 254258 damaged/crushed”, “coils have chain damaged/chain protectors were not used”, etc. If possible, open all containers while the driver is at your facility and make notations on the Delivery Receipt.
In case of damages, contact the carrier right away.
Then, take pictures of the entire damaged product from every angle with and without flash. Include both close-up and wide angled photos of your damaged product to help the insurer assess the scale of the damage.
Importantly, DO NOT dispose of the package/packaging material. In case the carrier decides to inspect the product, the packaging will determine if the damages to the product correspond to the damages to the containers.
Moreover, please move the damaged product to a safe location. It is the duty of the consignee to keep damaged merchandise and shipping containers until they resolve the demand.
Finally, send all information to the carrier’s claims department.
VISIBLE DAMAGE / SHORTAGE: DAMAGE/ SHORTAGE IS DISCOVERED AT THE TIME OF DELIVERY.
CONCEALED DAMAGE / SHORTAGE: DAMAGE/ SHORTAGE IS DISCOVERED AFTER THE TIME OF DELIVERY.
- Firstly, take photos of the damaged merchandise and contact the carrier immediately to report damages.
- Report Concealed Damage/Shortage claim to the carrier within 5 days of the delivery date. Also, report your concealed damage claim to the carrier immediately.
- Then, take pictures of the product from every angle with and without flash. Include both close-up and wide angled photos of your product to help the insurer assess the scale of the damage.
- DO NOT dispose of the package/packaging material so you can return it.
- Please move the damaged merchandise to a safe location. Besides, it is the duty of the consignee to keep damaged merchandise and shipping containers to resolve the claims.
- The last step is to send all claim information to the carrier’s claims department.
Are you filing a Freight Shippers or Consignee Claim?
If you purchased All-Risk Freight Insurance for your load through Falvey Insurance Group, click here to learn how to file a claim. If you didn’t, no sweat! You can still file a damage claim through the carrier you selected by following these steps:
- Firstly, select your carrier from the list below and complete the relevant claims form.
- Include any requested documentation, such as the Bill of Lading or Proof of Delivery.
- If the product is repairable, attach a copy of the repair quote.
- However, If the product is salvageable, attach a copy of the salvage/scrap value.
- Finally, submit the claim documentation per the carrier’s instructions.
What Happens Next?
- The carrier needs to acknowledge the claim within 30 days. Once the carrier receives and acknowledges the freight shippers claim, they will assign their claim number to the file.
- As per the law, the carrier has 120 days to respond with an approval or denial of the claim.
|Carrier Name||Damage Form||Phone||Fax|
|A Duie Pyle||A Duie Pyle claim email@example.com||610-696-5800||610-696-2693|
|AAA Cooper||AAA Cooper claim firstname.lastname@example.org||334-793-2284||855-263-6298|
|Averitt Express||Averitt Express claim email@example.com||800-283-7488||931-520-2799|
|Central Freight||Central Freight claim firstname.lastname@example.org||254-741-5227||254-741-5295|
|Clear Lane Freight Systems||Clear Lane Freight Systems claim email@example.com||317-759-8346||317-759-8347|
|Dayton Freight||Dayton Freight claim firstname.lastname@example.org||937-264-4060||937-890-4846|
|Dependable Hwy||Dependable Hwy claim email@example.com||800-924-4744|
|Dohrn||Dohrn claim firstname.lastname@example.org||800-747-0723||309-794-1693|
|DOT-LINE Transportation||DOT-LINE Transportation claim form||323-780-9010||323-780-1552|
|Dugan||Dugan claim email@example.com||316-616-9396||316-616-9386|
|Estes Express||Estes Express claim firstname.lastname@example.org||804-353-1900 ext. 2030||804-232-1407|
|Fedex Economy||Fedex Economy claim email@example.com||800-463-3339||877-229-4766|
|Fedex Priority||Fedex Priority claim firstname.lastname@example.org||800-463-3339||877-229-4766|
|Fort Transportation||Fort Transportation claim email@example.com||920-563-0800||920-563-0801|
|Midwest Motor Express||Midwest Motor Express claim form||701-223-1880||701-224-1894|
|Old Dominion||Old Dominion claim firstname.lastname@example.org||800-825-6636||336-822-5494|
|Pitt-Ohio||Pitt-Ohio claim email@example.com||800-366-7488||412-232-0321|
|RIST Transport||RIST Transport claim form||315-789-8871||315-789-0424|
|Roadrunner Freight Systems||Roadrunner Freight Systems claim firstname.lastname@example.org||414-615-1500||414-615-1529|
|Saia||Saia claim email@example.com||800-950-7242 ext. 2300||985-857-2356|
|Southeastern||Southeastern claim form||LGunter@sefl.com||803-794-7300|
|Southwestern Motor||Southwestern Motor claim firstname.lastname@example.org||800-531-1071||210-515-5592|
|Standard Forwarding||Standard Forwarding claim email@example.com||800-447-2012|
|UPS Freight||UPS Freight claim form||888-653-9720||866-580-1944|
|USF Holland||USF Holland claim firstname.lastname@example.org||616-395-5000||866-510-1294|
|USF Reddaway||USF Reddaway claim email@example.com||503-885-5500||503-885-5559|
|XPO Logistics||XPO Logistics claim form||Claims.LTLCDC@xpo.com||844-742-5976||888-846-4694|
|Xpress Global Systems Inc.||Xpress Global Systems Inc. claim firstname.lastname@example.org||844-947-7447||423-602-2258|
|YRC||YRC claim form||800-610-6500||866-840-5691|