6 Steps Towards Greener Shipping
Freight shipping is one of the biggest contributors to pollution today, but it doesn’t have to be that way. New studies on the effects of climate change and green shipping over the last decade have encouraged establishments to take measures for reducing the carbon footprint in all industries, including the shipping industry. There are many steps that both truck drivers and shippers alike can take in order to contribute to this up and coming 'green movement' and reduce the huge carbon footprint that the shipping industry is notable for being a part of. Today at GoShip.com we will be covering the steps that can be taken to head off on the road to greener shipping! Steps that truck drivers can take:
- Speed Reduction – If drivers reduce their speed by just a mere 5 mph, they can significantly lower their truck’s harmful emissions. Driving at a slower speed also significantly reduces the risk for accidents, as well as lowers fuel consumption.
- Driving with attention to fuel efficiency– By fluctuating speeds gradually and taking their time when starting and stopping their trucks, drivers can lower fuel consumption by 5 to 10%.
- Reconsidering cabin comfort – Drivers who sleep in their cabins should use truck stop electrification when possible for heating and cooling, rather than relying on the diesel from their trucks to keep them comfortable.
Steps that shippers can take:
- Rearranging logistics and invoicing – Sometimes, outsourcing certain services is a better option than paying numerous employees to get the job done. It also helps the shipper save resources, avoid paperwork, work more efficiently, and land more jobs.
- Refining fuel technology – Alternative fuels, hybrid technology, better route planning, and less aggressive driving practices are just a few solutions to lower fuel consumption.
- Equipment updates– Aerodynamic panels, wide base tires, low viscosity lubricants, exhaust system upgrades, eco flaps, APUs (auxiliary power units), speed limitations, liquid natural gas powering or electric forklifts are just a handful of changes shipping companies can implement in order to lower operating costs and their trucks’ impact on the environment.
There is a chance that these changes may impact shipping rates as shippers offset high costs by raising prices. At GoShip.com, we can help you find and book LTL shipments directly with no added costs. Request a quote now!